Dr. Mike explains the physiological effects of a chiropractic adjustment and how it can dramatically improve your health.
Visit my website for all my ARTICLES, VIDEOS, and my FREE BOOK on Intermittent Fasting and Weight Loss:
(1) “The spinal cord as organizer of disease processes” Korr IM. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 1976 Sep;76(1):35-45.
(2) “Cerebral metabolic changes in men after chiropractic spinal manipulation” Alternative Therapies Health Medicine 2011 Nov-Dec;17(6):12-7.
(3) Haavik Taylor, H. & Murphy B.A. (2007) “Cervical spine manipulation alters sensorimotor integration: A somatosensory evoked potential study” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, 118(2):391-402
(4) “The impact of positive sagittal balance in adult spinal deformity” SPINE 2005 Sep 15;30(18):2024-9
(5) Biedermann H. “Kinematic imbalances due to suboccipital strain in newborns” J. Manual Med (1992) 6:151-156.
(6) J Manipulative Physiol Therapeutics 2007 (May); 30 (4): 263–269
(7) “Atlas vertebra realignment and achievement of arterial pressure goal in hypertensive patients” Journal of Human Hypertension (2007) 21, 347– 352.
(8) “Hyperkyphotic posture predicts mortality in older community dwelling men and women” J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Oct;52(10):1662-7.
In the first study, Korr showed that a vertebral subluxation (misalignment) creates a stress that causes an increased tone in the sympathetic nervous system. We now know that an increased sympathetic tone in the nervous system sets off a cascade of autonomic processes as if the body was being attacked. This increased tone leads to what we know to be the “fight or flight” behavior physiology.
The second study clearly demonstrated that the sympathetic tone of the nervous system was inhibited, salivary amylase was decreased (indicating a decrease in fight/ flight physiology), regional brain metabolic changes occurred, and muscle tone & pain intensity decreased following ONE single chiropractic adjustment.
In the 3rd study Drs. Heidi Haavik and Bernadette Murphy clearly show that a cervical spinal adjustment (ON PATIENTS WITH NO PAIN) influences the cortical brain and can create neuroplastic changes in the brain tissue. It was noted that “enhanced active inhibition” of the sympathetic nervous system tone occurred in ALL post-adjustment measurements! The other cool thing it proved was that it clearly wasn’t a placebo effect or just “laying on of hands”. One group was set up for an adjustment but the high velocity low amplitude thrust was not made and this group had NO cortical neuroplastic change.
The other studies I just added because you may find them useful. Enjoy!
For more True Health content,
Subscribe to Dr. Mike’s channel for more awesome videos at https://www.youtube.com/drmichaelvandc
Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dr.michaelvan
Instagram: DrMichaelVan Twitter: @DrMikeVan